Christmas is a fun time of the year, but it’s filled with sugar, food coloring, artificial flavors, and a lot more nasties than it needs to be. Just because we want to have fun does not mean we have to trash our health. My favorite hot chocolate recipe is below. The best part about this recipe is it’s so simple. Wellness doesn’t have to be hard.
- 4 cups milk (whole or DF)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place milk, cocoa powder and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium/medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until warm (but not boiling).
- Add chocolate chips and whisk constantly until the chocolate chips melt and distribute evenly into the milk.
- Whisk in vanilla extract and serve immediately
Bon Appetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD