Ah. It’s that time of year again. Christmas! Are you planning a traditional dinner? If so, that means you will most likely be serving ham. It may seem easy to buy a ham and glaze at the store. Most store-bought glaze packets include toxic ingredients such as Dextrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup and other additives. Wellness doesn’t have to be hard, which is why I have listed my simple honey-baked ham recipe below that you can make at home. Without all the harmful ingredients.
Once or twice a year I get a Sprout’s Ham which has the least amount of ingredients. To counteract the effects of the celery powder, I serve it with green leafy veggies. In fact, in my house, we eat green leafy veggies daily. I glaze it with real ingredients.
- 8 lb bone-in spiral-sliced half ham
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch of allspice
- Trim ham if needed, then place it in the slow cooker.
- Combine melted butter and honey, then massage over ham, getting in between the slices a little.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4-5 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, preheat the broiler to HIGH, and line a roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Combine sugar, seasoned salt, onion powder, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, ground cloves, paprika, and allspice in a small bowl. Pat half of the sugar mixture over the top of the ham.
- Broil for several minutes, until bubbly and caramelized, then remove from oven.
- To a small saucepan, add the remaining sugar mixture. Add 3 Tbsp of either water or ham juices from the bottom of the slow cooker. A combination of water/ham juice and bourbon is a nice alternative! Stir, and heat to a boil. Boil for about a minute, then remove from heat.
- Brush or pour glaze over the ham, then broil again for a minute or two (careful… don’t let it burn!).
- Remove from oven and let the ham rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold and enjoy!
Click Here to Download the Honey Baked Ham Recipe
Bon Appetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD
Best-Selling Book: Healthy Kids In An Unhealthy World
My Holistic Allergy-Friendly Breakfast + Lunch Guides
Holistic Kid’s Guide: A Parent’s Guide To Raising Healthier Kids
Podcast Feature: Start a Family Food Revolution with Dr. Ana-Maria Temple