This is a flavorful family favorite that tastes just like pizza! When you have kids, you know that’s a win. This protein-packed tofu can stand alone or be a yummy addition to your pasta, wraps and so much more!
Crispy Baked Tofu with Italian Herbs
Time: 50 minutes
- 1 (14-oz.) package of extra-firm tofu
- 1 ½ Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 4-5 small cloves garlic, crushed or minced (4-5 cloves yield ~2 tsp crushed)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (218 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap your extra-firm tofu in an absorbent towel. Set something heavy on top — like a cast iron skillet — to press out extra moisture for 15 minutes. Alternatively, use a tofu press.
- Crumble the tofu into pieces less than 1/2 inch in size and arrange them on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients (tamari, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, and salt). Pour over the tofu and toss to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip with a spatula, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the tofu is a little firm and golden with crispy edges.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature. This tofu is the perfect protein boost for wraps, pasta, or on pizza or paired with roasted vegetables.
- Leftovers keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in a skillet or in the oven at 350 F for 5-10 minutes until warm and crispy.
Bon Appetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD