This shepherd’s pie is a perfect blend of protein and veggies. I am able to get my kids to eat tons of vegetables because of this recipe! Read below to get the easy instructions!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Myiokos (or regular) butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef -or ground lamb or turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves -minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 cup frozen mixed peas, carrots, corn
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 lb yukon gold potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Make the Meat Filling. Add the oil to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the onions.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook 3 min more.
- Add the ground meat to the skillet and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Add the parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the meat, is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Melt butter, add the flour and whisk into a paste. Add Broth. Pour over meat.
- Add the frozen peas, carrots, and corn. Bring the liquid to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set the meat mixture aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, 10-15 minutes. (I use Instapot for this. Pour 1 cup water, and place potatoes in a metal colander. Set it to 3 min on high. Quick depressurize)
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Return the potatoes to the hot pot.
- Add butter, egg, garlic powder, salt. Mash the potatoes and stir until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Assemble the casserole.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 9×9 (or 7×11) inch baking dish. Spread it out into an even layer. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat. Carefully spread into an even layer.
- Place it on a rimmed baking sheet so that the filling doesn’t bubble over into your oven. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
✨Click here to download the recipe!✨
In Good Health, Dr. Ana-Maria
Best-Selling Book: Healthy Kids In An Unhealthy World
My Holistic Allergy-Friendly Breakfast + Lunch Guides
Holistic Kid’s Guide: A Parent’s Guide To Raising Healthier Kids
Podcast Feature: Start a Family Food Revolution with Dr. Ana-Maria Temple