Everyone is in need of more breakfast ideas that DO NOT include sugar cereal, any cereal really, pop tarts, toaster strudel, bagel with butter, or toast. These are all Hi Glycemic Index foods, which means, that they raise your blood sugar for 30-45min and then the blood sugar plummets to really low levels that lead to brain fog, fatigue, headaches, memory and focus issues, etc. Here is my newest discovery based on Oh She Glows recipe. This is a Low Glycemic Index Breakfast because it contains – fruits, vegetable, and fiber. Learn more about Glycemic Index HERE
Carrot Cake Porridge / Oatmeal
Mix the following in a bowl
- 2 1/4 Cups Rolled Oats (gluten free oats if needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
Mix the following in a blender
- 2 1/2 cups of milk (almond, coconut, hemp milk work)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (see notes)
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 5-10 min
- 1/4 cup pitted dates, soaked in hot water for 5-10min
- 1/3 cup or less of maple syrup (see notes)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups of finely shredded carrots (see notes)
- 1 small zucchini grated (see notes)
Option 1 – (to be devoured immediately)
- Heat milk and other ingredients in pan
- Once milk is simmering add dried ingredients and carrots.
- Cook for 5 min
- Serve with walnuts, pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds
Option 2 – (make ahead Sunday for weekdays)
- Preheat oven to 375 F or 180 C
- Grease 2.5 qt casserole dish, about 8 x 11 inches
- Mix the wet ingredients with dry ingredients, adding the carrots
- Pour mixture into dish
- Bake uncovered for 35 min
- Cool 10 min
Ginger – grate the rest & store in freezer. Nothing beats fresh ginger.
Maple Syrup – 1/3 cup if no dates, less if using dates, but fill to 1/3 total of liquid with water. I try to use the least amount of added sugar but still keep the flavor. You can just add 1/3 cup of water, because it’s sweet enough with just the dates and raisins. I like a hint of maple syrup flavor.
Raisins – one of my kids does not like raisins, thus I blend them. Moreover, I like soft juicy raisins, so I generally soak them in hot water before cooking.
Carrots – do not peel carrots, wash and grate.
Zucchini – I added this after making this dish several times and decided to get more adventurous. Picky eater eyeballed it suspiciously, then proceeded to eat the whole bowl without one complaint.
Breakfast Highlights: Serves 5. This meal contains: fruit, vegetable , fiber, gluten free, dairy free, vegan options.