With the recent launch of my One Minute Pediatrics series on Instagram @familywellnesstips, many ladies have asked me to outline my skin regiment. Here is my anti-aging journey, an illustration of Functional Medicine at work. Aging skin is not a simple issue that requires a single pill or a cream. It’s a complex puzzle that requires many pieces to fit well together for a polished product. There is no end. There are only steps towards a better TODAY.
I am a 44 years old and I have been married for 20years with 3 teenage children. At the age of 30, I learned to love and treasure my skin. At age 34, I came to appreciate my body (a bit late, but better then never). My health journey truly began 10 years ago, with changes made every few months. It’s not a perfect system. It has it’s flaws and wrinkles. It’s a work in progress.
Step 1: My Eating Plan is colorful with ingredients found in nature. If I can’t read it, I don’t eat it.
- I start every day with coffee, 2 cups.
- Morning Smoothies are a must,
- Breakfast with eggs, PB, Museli and Yogurt, or Perfect Bars.
- 10-20 oz of water
- Lunch – leftovers or some kind of salad with chicken, feta cheese, and protein. Home Made Salad Dressing. Just recently started adding 1 Tbsp of Turmeric to this fabulous dressing. 2 pieces of milk chocolate (I can occasionally do dark)
- 40 oz of water
- Snack – fruits, mainly berries, cheese, meats, nuts, hummus
- Dinner – home made 5/7nights a week with protein/veggies/complex carbs and my 2 pieces of chocolate. Lots of recipes on this blog for quick healthy weeknight meals.
- Gluten Free due to bloating (it also improved my skin).
- No fast food, no soda for 10 years, no juices or sugary drinks. I like my occasional vodka and soda.
- No smoking, no drugs.
Step 2: My Fitness Plan is varied and fun. A celebration of my body, not a punishment.
- I love cross training and it is a scheduled event. It is an appointment for myself because I love my body and I am less psycho after a good workout.
- Overall, I work out 5 times a week. Workouts vary: 1hour yoga, 30 min cross training, mediocre tennis, running 5k races, mountain biking with my hubby, pilates, or hiking with the family. My family is generally involved in most of these activities.
Step 3: My Anti-Stress Plan addresses many areas of life and it includes the entire family.
- Regular fitness routine that is varied and fun
- Great Sleep
- Turning my phone off at 7pm (except on call)
- Marriage Counseling:
- My husband and I have worked with a couple of marriage counselors to help decrease the stress in our household. Both of us have always had very busy careers and our children were over-scheduled. My husband suffered from physician burnout which created tremendous anxiety. I had little experience in this area. Our communication went down the tubes, resentment sky rocketed, wrinkles increased, and it all came crashing down 15years into our marriage.
- Thank you team Marriage Counceling:
- marriage re-prioritized
- household re-organized
- parenting styles re-designed
- household chores re-distributed
- team effort re-energized
Step 4: My Sleep Plan is of utmost importance.
- Unless something amazing is going down, I am asleep by 10PM and awake by 6-6:30AM
- How does a mama get sleep?
- see marriage counseling above; very important points.
- no phone in my room, ever
- I try to get off my phone by 7pm. I have been doing a poor job with this since the One Minute Pediatric video launch. A work in progress.
- children are allocated chores – dog, dishes, cleaning, trash, making lunches, grocery shopping, setting tables, etc.
- when I arrive home from work, all children must put all electronic devices away and everyone is expected to help, or confiscation of said devices for 24hrs. This momma doesn’t care about whining.
- How does a mama get sleep?
Step 5: My Supplement Plan is an addition to healthy eating, not a substitution.
** this is what works for me and my body, please speak with your doctor about what is right for you**
- Juice Plus Red, Green, Purple (9 years) – the studies show increased skin turgor, decreased wrinkles, increased skin plumpness. Study on Increased Circulation and More skin studies. Purchase HERE
- Probiotics (3 years) -VSL3 in the US in light of the medical research showing how much it reduces inflammation. A healthy gut absorbs nutrition much better. Purchase HERE
- Vitamin D3 (4 years) 1000 international units daily – as prescribed by my doctor for anti-inflammation. Purchase HERE
- Collagen Supplement in the AM(2 years)- I use Reservage Collagen Powder because it contains Verisol, the collagen formulation studied – 2014 study , Another More In-depth Prevention Article. Purchase HERE
- Omega 3– (3 years) Nordic Naturals because of the clean reports and 3rd party evaluation. Udo’s Oil is great, but I cannot stomach it. Barleans Oil is loved by my kids. Purchase HERE
Step 6: Lotions and Potions are an addition to the previous steps, not a replacement. – updated 2018
** This is what works for me. As always, a work in progress
*** This where I am currently in my journey for cleaner and effective skin care, as of 2018
- rinse face with water
- Pure Haven Hyaluronic Acid – Episilk – Found HERE
- Eye Cream – Bright Eyes by Rhodan and Fields – Found HERE
- Rejuvenating Day Cream by Beautycounter – Found HERE
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer SPF +20 by Beautycounter – Found HERE
- Lip Balm – Lip Conditioner in Calendula – Found HERE
- Middle of the Day – more SPF from Beatuycounter in Stick or Moisturizer – Found HERE
- wash make up off EVERY NIGHT with Beautycounter Rejuvenating Face Cleanser
- Rhodan and Fields Roller – Found HERE
- Retin A – Anti-Aging Remedies Reviewed in the Journal of DermatoEndocrinology
- 100% Pure Superfruits Balm in winter – Found HERE
- Beautycounter Rejuvenating night cream in summer
- Rejuvenating Eye Cream by Beautycounter – Found HERE
- Lip Moisturizer – Hyaluronic Lip Balm by Epislik – Found HERE
Step 7: Makeover with Beautycounter
- I have said goodbye to Bobbi Brown and Mac, my go to make up for years. It’s time for cleaner products. After a long search for beautiful and toxin free makeup, I finally found and am excited about the Beautycounter Makeup Line. The down side, it’s adictive.
Step 8: Skin Therapies are generally not as effective if used as a replacement for the above.
- NO BOTOX
- Dermapen per skin therapist protocol – tiny needles that stimulate my collagen. Hyaluronic Acid after with SPF.
- Hyaluronic Acid Peels per my skin therapist every 4 times a year.
Closing Note: I have affiliated with several companies to bring you wellness products directly through from my blog to your door.
Living is a work of art. We are born as a blank canvas. We choose the tools and materials. Our daily masterpiece is a composition of all the choices we make.