It’s time to replace your week night Chick Fil A run with this healthier option that the whole family will love. Dr. T Chicken Nuggets paired with our homemade Chick Fil A sauce is a hit at our house. I hope your kids will love it too!
Dr. T Chicken Nuggets
- 1.5 lb chicken tenders
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup flour (I use Bob Redmill)
- 1 cup Pankhurst GF crumbs (I make mine from the ends of my GF bread)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 – 2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup avocado oil
- Lay the chicken breasts in a single layer across a cutting board and cover them with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a skillet, pound the breast until they are an even quarter inch thickness. Remove and discard the plastic wrap.
- Place a chicken in a bowl with pickle juice and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow the chicken to brine in the pickle juice for at least two hours and up to all day. I often forget to do this and only brine for 30 minutes at room temp. That works too.
- When the chicken has finished brining, strain off the excess pickle juice
- Set up an assembly line for the dredging of the chicken. On a plate place the flour. In a bowl whisk together the eggs and mustard into a froth.
- In a separate shallow bowl, mix the seasonings and the breadcrumbs.
- Individually dip each chicken piece in the flour, shaking off excess flour. Then dip the floured chicken into the egg mixture while fully submerging the chicken. Let the excess drip off and roll the chicken into the breadcrumb mixture.
- In a frying pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. When hot, working in batches, fry the chicken until the crust is golden brown, and the meat is cooked through, about 2 minutes on the first side, and 2 minutes on the second.
- (if the chicken is browning too fast, turn down the temp of the cooktop.)
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a paper towel, line the plate, and continue until all the chicken is cooked through and crispy. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Homemade Chick Fil A Sauce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Mix: Whisk together mayonnaise, honey, mustard, lemon juice, and BBQ sauce.
- Chill: Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to using.
Bon Appetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD