Trying to change kid habits is hard. Trying to convince parents to change their kids’ habits can be even harder. I used to try to persuade parents to take this task on, but it was met with a lot of resistance. Thus, I started turning my attention to the kids. In clinic, I give kids a simple task such as finding an oatmeal recipe that contains a fruit or a veggie, make it, and if they like it and eat it, they are to send me the recipe and I will feature them on my blog – enter the yummy Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal recipe.
This is one of my favorite back-to-school oatmeal recipes put together by two cute blonde girls who used to eat cereal and refused to have fruits for breakfast: Caitlin (9yrs) and Ashley (7yrs).
Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup steel-cut quick oats
- 4 cups whole milk or almond milk
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons local honey
- Mix diced apple, cinnamon and honey in a bowl
- Bring water/milk to a simmer, add oats and cook until thick and bubbly
- Add apple mixture and cook 3-5 min more
Bon Appetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD