I am always on the lookout for a great afternoon snack that is easy and full of nutrition. I have a picky eater who sneaks food (carbs), so a well balanced Brownie masked in chocolate and full of goodness was worth a try – enter healthy chocolate brownies. Success folks!
My healthy chocolate brownies were a huge hit! My picky eater got his veggie, protein, healthy fat, fiber, and antioxidants without even knowing. Furthermore, it is mandatory in our house to eat a fruit before any snack, so banana + brownies = drop the mike on afternoon snack nutrition. Boom!
Mix the following in a Bowl:
- 3/4 cup of unbleached or whole wheat (WF) baking flour – WF = extra fiber
- OR gluten-free flour 1:1 ratio
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt – antioxidants
- 1/2 tsp baking powder,
- 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder, – raw cocoa has potent antioxidants
- 3/4 cup of chocolate chips – clean ingredients please
Put the following in a blender
- 3/4 cup of water,
- 1 cup of pitted dates – fiber, low glycemic index sweetener
- one 15 oz can of drained black beans – protein, fiber
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS olive oil – healthy fat
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- purée the black beans, dates, water, vanilla, and oil together until you see that the consistency is like chocolate pudding
- in a large bowl, pour in the puréed mixture with the rest of the ingredients
- mix everything well
- line an 8″ x 8″ baking pan
- bake it for 25 mins
- it’s ok if you see some cracking on the top
- remove tray from the oven
- let it cool down for an hour before cutting and ultimately tasting.
Hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as we did!
Bon Apetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD
My Holistic Allergy-Friendly Breakfast + Lunch Guides
Best-Selling Book: Healthy Kids In An Unhealthy World
Holistic Kid’s Guide: A Parent’s Guide To Raising Healthier Kids
Podcast Feature: Start a Family Food Revolution with Dr. Ana-Maria Temple