During Detox Month we have eliminated dairy for several reasons:
- It has a high sugar content, though natural.
- Many forms of dairy have added sugar – yogurts, gogurts, icecream, etc.
- Dairy can have inflammatory properties for some.
- Non organic dairy has traces of antibiotics, hormones, pus and other unmentionable things.
The best substitution is almond milk for those who are not allergic to almonds. Unfortunately, the almond milk found in the store are full of additives (reason unknown to me) or are very expensive. Thus, today we discuss a simple economic way to bypass all these issues. But first let’s look at one of the many labels that annoys me:
VERSUS THE NEW BARN ALMOND MILK
Homemade Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Organic Raw Unpasteurized Almonds (ideal)*
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 nut bag*
- Soak almonds overnight. 1-2 nights.
- Drain water from almonds
- Place 1 cup almonds in blender and add 2 cups fresh water
- Blend 2 min in blender or 3 min in food processor
- Pour mixture through nut bag into container
- Squeeze excess milk out of bag
- Discard nut remains (or store to make hummus)
- Pour milk into glass container.
- Makes about 2 cups.
- Time: 5 min.
Price Break Down
32 Oz of Almonds makes 224 ounces of Milk
- Costco Almonds make 224oz of milk made at $13
- Amazon Organic Unpasteurized Almonds make 224oz of milk make at $21
- New Barn Almond Milk is $4.99 per 28 oz. 7 bottles equal 224 oz = $35
In Great Health, Ana-Maria Temple, MD