One of our favorite dishes is roasted chicken. However, I want an organic free range bird cooked with wholesome ingredients, AND at a good price. This can be a challenge when you are trying to buy a store made cooked chicken. But, I found the solution to this problem. Checkout my latest recipe find. Not only is it full of goodness, but it’s easy and it will likely become your Wednesday Night Meal.
Of note, I generally cook 2 chickens at one time. If I am going through all this effort to make dinner, then I might as well cook 2 birds and have plenty for lunches or the following night’s meal.
Easy Roasted Chicken
- 2 Organic Free Range Whole Chicken
- 4 leftover celery stalks, leaves and all
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon , cut in half
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Hymalian salt
- Heat oven to 425°F/220°C
- Place birds in pan
- Stuff each bird with 2 celery stalk, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 onion
- Mix olive oil with all the spices – garlic, thyme, oregano, salt. If you don’t have these, ok to use any others.
- Rub birds with olive oil/spice mixture all over
- Place birds on bellies with bottoms side up
- Place everything in then oven at above temp for 1 hr. Do not check on them or open the oven. No basting required. Yep, it’s that easy.
- Take birds out and measure temp in the thickest part of thigh. Should be 160-165°F/70-75°C
- Let birds sit for 10 min. They will continue to cook some more.
- Serve with a different side on Wednesdays, and then it will seem like a different meal every week. Sides: salad, cooked frozen vegetables, mashed potatoes and asparagus, risotto, etc.
- Following night use leftovers – Chicken Quesadillas,
Notes: the sauce from the chicken can be reduced to make a tasty gravy.
Money Saving Tips: buy chickens on sale and freeze for future. Buy free range chickens from a local farmer.
Ana-Maria Temple, MD